Friday, June 11, 2010

Forgot these

Another yak herder house. I wanted to add a couple more trekking pictures.

Harvesting wheat


I can't believe I forgot to mention the famous Cordyceps. I am holding what is a dead caterpillar with a parasitic fungus growing out of it. Sounds gross, but they are rare and highly sought after. They supposedly have health benefits ranging from improving triglycerides, male impotence, kidney and hepatic function. It was made popular after a Chinese track team broke all sorts of records and their coach said they had been taking Cordycep. You can only find these rare treats above 4000 meters in the high Himalaya mountains in the month of May. They sell for about $1 US dollar a piece which is a ton of money for mountain villagers. In Bhutan only mountain people are permitted to pick these, but people pick them illegal, the money is too good. We bought as many Cordyceps as we could from the yak herders. They don't really taste like anything, my mom is a true believer in this rare herbal medicine, my dad is still looking for the journal article that proves their benefit.











No comments:

Post a Comment