Friday, June 11, 2010

Notes on Bhutan

I thought I would just add some additional information on common things here in Bhutan.

1. Stray dogs run around everywhere. They especially like to sleep during the day and bark all night. I was told they are the last reincarnation before human incarnation so they are accepted. No one really takes care of them so they have nasty mats or ticks or tumors or mange.

2. If you are walking downtown you will probably have to look down at your feet for awhile until you get used to having holes and open sewage traps all over the sidewalks and streets.

3. Marijuana is just an ordinary weed here. It is actually the most common weed I see as I walk down to the hospital. It grows naturally and people feed it to the pigs so they get lazy and eat and fatten up. So, if you like weed you should visit end of August or September because I think the plants will be mature by then.

4. People here are very nice. They all want to know if you like their country. But there are definitely two different markets here- tourist and local. Bhutan is not cheap for a tourist although a local doctor's salary here starts at $400 US dollars a month with a max of $1000 a month. The ortho-techs we work with get about $220 a month. You would think it would be cheap, but we pretty much pay American prices for everything. Food might be a little cheaper.

5. The entire country is mountains. I can't find a flat place to run anywhere so I can only run for like 3 minutes before I am huffing and puffing. I think they only have one airport because there is no other flat place to land.

No comments:

Post a Comment