Friday, June 4, 2010

Yak Herder's Camp

This lady invited us into her yak herding tent where her and her daughter live a couple months out of the year to let their herd graze in the mountains around 14,000 feet elevation.




Mom and dad eating yak cheese. They dry it so it can be preserved. It is really hard so you have to suck on it until it slowly dissolves. She also made us yak butter tea. I was very thankful that Tashi was there to drink mine for me. I think I have had my lifetime share of yak butter and cheese.


Mom sitting next to a pile of yak dung. They use it to fuel the fire for cooking. When you have limited resources you have to get creative. At their altitude there are no trees for firewood.



The lovely yak. Actually they aren't that friendly. My mom had to scare one away with her trekking pole. By the way, everyone must get trekking poles. According to my parents, you cannot trek without them!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment